For this task we were asked to make compositions out of three different words, amplifying their meaning through typographic choices.
For the word cram the first thing that came to mind was to “cram” the word into the page. That meant using large scaled letters that barely fit the available space (Sketch #1). From there I saw that a bold, heavyweight typeface would better emphasize the text being crammed (Sketch #2).
From my second sketch I found that I could fill up the leftover space to enhance the effect. My solution was to repeat the word all over the page, to really cram the word into the composition. Here’s the result:
The typeface used is called Luckiest Guy, found on Google Fonts.
The next word I chose was hurry. For this, I wanted to use a typeface with a “handwritten” appearance. I think that a scribble on a piece of paper expresses the meaning of the word better than a traditional computer-font. From my own handwriting (sketches) — trying to write the word fast and mindlessly — I found that I should also tilt the text to the right.
To further mimic handwritten text, I randomly adjusted the size of the letters, as well as the kerning throughout the word. I then increased the spacing between the letters further to the right, to make it seem like it was written in a hurry.
The typeface is Gochi Hand from Google Fonts.
The last word I chose was construct. Here, I had to go in the opposite direction of what I did with the word hurry. I needed a font that would communicate “good planning” with a steady appearance. To me, that meant a sans-serif font consisting of geometric shapes and sharp edges.
Through my sketching, I found that I wanted my text to represent a construction. I arranged the letters in different ways to mimic a skyscraper. I then repeated the word in varying font-weights throughout the composition as an attempt to make it appear as a city skyline.
The typeface I used is called Cy, and is found on Adobe Fonts.
As a bonus task we were asked to do the same process as the above, but instead using a made-up word. The word I came up with was “Splitation” with the meaning of splitting words by mistake, a subcategory of typo. Here’s my take on it: